Tuesday 12 November 2013

National Novel Writing Month

Well, once again I'm taking part in the National Novel Writing Month.  The aim is to write 50,000 words in 30 days.  Quality is not an issue.  All that matters at this stage is quantity.  This is the fifth time I've participated, and so far I've succeeded three times.

This year I'm working on a contemporary fantasy that's been knocking around my head for a while, partly based on the plot of a roleplay game I ran for friends last year.  Most of the novels I've done for NaNoWriMo have been based on plots I originally came up with for RPGs.  They tend to be fairly action-heavy, fast-paced adventure stories, that are light on deeper meaning but are relatively easy to throw out.  I've found that sword fights are excellent for soaking up wordcount if you describe them well enough.

Over the years, I've noticed a pattern.  Early on, I build up a reasonable headstart in wordcount terms, then around the middle, something goes wrong and I fall behind, and scrabble to catch up in the last week or so.  I've followed this pattern again this year, and I've fallen about a day behind, although actually this year it's because something is going right, but I've been busy with that rather than throwing out the words.  In fact, right now I should be writing, not blogging, but never mind.

The website for the National Novel Writing Month can be found here:  http://nanowrimo.org
My user-name is Dr Magister, if you want to have a look at how I'm getting on.

Hopefully in 18 day's time, I will bragging about my glorious victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment